First and Third Party Auto Accident Claims

Home-Blog-Car Accidents-First and Third Party Auto Accident Claims

Free Case Evaluation Call 318-487-9537

First and Third Party Auto Accident Claims

Vehicle wrecks and insurance go together like peanut butter and jelly. Where you have one, you often have the other. In fact, all vehicles and drivers must have insurance in order to legally be on the road – but not everyone follows the law. In even minor fender-benders, exchanging insurance information is one of the first and foremost things drivers should do. When a crash causes injury, an insurance claim should be filed so that the injured person can be compensated for a number of expenses resulting from the accident, such as medical bills, lost income, or pain and suffering. Whether that claim is filed with your insurer (first party) or the insurance company of the person responsible for the wreck (third party) is an important distinction.

If you’ve been hurt in a car wreck, you need a highly qualified and experienced attorney on your side to make sure you get the best possible financial recovery. The Alexandria car accident lawyer Chris J. Roy, founder of the Chris J. Roy, Jr. Law Firm, is ready to help those people whose lives have been affected by car crashes. He knows how to handle the details and create an effective case to secure maximum compensation. By choosing the Chris J. Roy, Jr. Law Firm, you will benefit from nearly three decades of experience and skilled representation. If you have suffered a serious injury or lost someone you love in a traffic accident in Alexandria, Pineville, Rapides Parish, Grant Parish, or anywhere in Central Louisiana, contact insurance accident attorney Chris J. Roy, Jr. by calling (318) 487-9537 or filling out a case evaluation form.

In a first-party claim against an insurance company, the insured is the claimant seeking coverage under his or her own policy. This might happen when the insured was solely at fault for the accident, the damage was caused by a hit-and-run driver, or when there are disputes as to who was at fault. For example, an injured party who has collision coverage and who is not satisfied with the settlement offered by the responsible party’s insurer can file a first-party claim. Filing first-party claims mean that the insured has to pay the policy’s deductible, but this sum will likely be returned when the insurer gets the other insurance company to reimburse it during a process known as subrogation.

Third-party accident claims are extremely common.

Most auto policies offer coverage for people who are injured as a result of the insured’s actions. Someone who is hurt in an accident or who sustains damage to their car can make a third-party claim against the other motorist’s insurance company. Compensation depends on each driver’s degree of fault in the accident. State law requires all drivers to carry minimum liability insurance. The amounts are not very high, and this basic coverage may not be enough to cover all the expenses stemming from an accident.

Claims should be made as quickly as possible after an accident.

Begin with an informational phone call and following up with a letter. The insurance company will then open an investigation, which typically includes photos of the accident scene, the names of witnesses, a detailed account of the events, and an independent medical examination. If approved, the insurer will settle the matter by issuing a check. If the insurer denies the claim in full or awards an inadequate amount, the decision can be appealed.

Property damage claims are usually resolved faster than bodily injury claims.

This is because it can take some time before all medical conditions make themselves known or stabilize. For property damage, getting more than one detailed repair estimate will make it harder for the insurance company to argue. The insurance company does have the right to inspect the damage and get its own estimates. Payment is made directly to the repair shop and for a rental car while the car is being fixed. If your car is a total loss, you will be paid its actual cash value.

For bodily injury, accepting the settlement amount is up to you, but you should understand that it is conditional on signing a “release and waiver” giving up your rights to sue for more money – even if you learn new information.

For A Free Consultation Contact Our Louisiana Auto Accident Attorney

If you’re wondering why your insurance claim was dismissed or you believe the amount of your settlement is too low, have an auto accident attorney evaluate your claim and discuss your right to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. Central Louisiana insurance claim attorney Chris J. Roy, Jr. seeks to ease the financial, mental, and physical burden that the litigation process can add by consistently communicating with you, as well as handling the complicated details so you can focus on yourself. While the Chris J. Roy, Jr. Law Firm is large enough to supply the necessary resources to handle any type of personal injury, it is also small enough to provide the individual attention that your case deserves. A trusted advocate, Chris has handled numerous crash claims and takes pride in helping accident victims in Alexandria and throughout Louisiana. For help with your legal claim, contact the firm today for a free initial consultation by calling (318) 487-9537 or filling out a case evaluation form.

Client Testimonials

Awards & Memberships

Contact Us

Schedule Your

Free Consultation

Fields Marked With An “*” Are Required

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.